Maritime Marine Engineering
BSM Engineering handles waterfront engineering projects from concept to completion, turning shoreline around the world into new ports. Our experience spans every aspect, from site selection, planning and permitting, to dredging, bulkheading and construction of pile-supported structures.
From a small recreational marina to a large industrial port or terminal, maritime marine engineering requires a broad range of knowledge that spans multiple civil engineering disciplines. Our knowledge of civil site and structural design in combination with our skills in the fields of geotechnical and coastal engineering make us well-suited to prepare designs for waterfront-marine facilities.
Our approach incorporates methods that minimize the impact on the surrounding environment while balancing aesthetics with sound, efficient engineering.
Docks, Piers and Wharfs
- Full-service design and engineering for marine facilities related to commercial, recreational and small-craft vessel infrastructure
- Design, rehabilitation and retrofit services for floating and fixed-pier marine structures and associated facilities and utilities
- Design of signature yacht clubs, public and industrial facilities involving concrete structures on steel or concrete piles
- Dredging coordination from minus 10 to minus 50 feet of draft at low tide to accommodate small vessels to large ships
- Architecture for small craft marinas, amenities for docks and custom dock building
- Cost-efficient design of cross-section bracing for floating docks using knowledge of the building and bridge industry (patents pending)
Small Craft Marinas
- Partial upgrades as well as new capital facility development
- Planning, preliminary design and cost budgeting services through detailed design and contract document development (plans and specifications)
Deep Marine Foundations
- Driven pipe piles and drilled shafts
- Dewatering cells (cofferdams) to dry out surface for drilled shaft
- Design of sheet pile bulkhead walls
- Design of vessel mooring, berthing and fendering systems
- Extensive experience and skill in the design of deep marine foundations to include environmental support services
- Implementation and interpretation of the results of dynamic pile monitoring and capacity determination using our Pile Driving Analyzer (PDA)
- Implementation of sound attenuation methods usually required when driving large diameter pipe piles
US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Permitting & Support
BSM Engineering coordinates and direct efforts associated with obtaining USACE environmental construction permits. Our successful record of navigating multiple layers of approval from NMFS sub-agencies including Fish & Wildlife, local city, county, special interest groups and environmental organizations reflects an in-depth understanding of the permitting process as well as the duties and concerns of various stakeholders. This knowledge allows us to deliver enormous value to clients by efficiently satisfying requirements and pursuing responsible design that removes the need for a permit when possible.